Monday, January 30, 2012

Week 5

So tell me what do you really think about? Honestly....

I've asked the husband that question way to many times and I'm sure spouses/family members and so's have asked their soldiers that same question. I have to admit the past week has been rough and we both agree we could of used this weeks lesson last week..since we both jumped to conclussions based on automatic thoughts..

This weeks lesson was about the thought process..which as times seems pretty scary. There are so many things that go through the human thought process and learning to recognize the way we precieve the world around us will help someone look at the things a bit differently. This lesson is also a great lesson for not only the Vet but everyone around them since we're all guilty of overthinking/over analyzing.

The lesson pinpointed on several different thought processes..to include my favorite one...

The Mindreader~ ugh I hate hate this one...I swear if I could just pull my brain out and let the husband see that he can't read my mind! Which then in turn leads to fortune telling..just because I said something 1 time doesn't mean that everytime I get upset I'm going to say the samething. I know we've all done something in our thought process that pushes us to look at a negative thought more then the postive thought. We need to step back and reflect on our thinking.

The cool thing about this weeks lesson is it shows you how to set up an Automatic Thought Record...it makes you sit down and record your thoughts..
it helps you identify the sitution and go from there to figure out a solution and how to work through the thoughts you were having them and why. And helps you be more PROACTIVE!

The most important lesson to take from this week's program is * Stop and refect what you're thinking*..if you can stop and and think about why you're feeling a certain way and think about ways to learn from that thought process you're on the right road. It doesn't come easy and it will take a while to get in to that automatic process but with a bit of work it can be done.

Now to work on the husband with this...he and I are both pretty guilty of thinking something that isn't right..getting mad, upset or whatever and then acting on that. The husband is willing to try to write down his thoughts in his own Automatic Though Record so that way he can see in writing what he was thinking and how he reacted to it. I will scan and add his ATR later this week so I can show an example. The husband has admitted that there are some fine points to this program. He has enjoyed it to a point but sometimes it pushes him beyond his comfort level and therefore makes him feel and think things he's not ready to deal with it. Which with the help of his therapist we can point out to her. So this site is a helpful tool and the lessons each week pushes the husband to realize that he can get help and its not a sign of weakness.

http://www.vetsprevail.org/

1 comment:

  1. sometimes it's just nice to know that even if we are "military" we're still just "human", thanks for sharing this post in your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete